The cathedral is located in the square which bears the same name. The original structure, built in the Romanesque style between the years 1187 and 1271, underwent numerous changes until finally in 1763, because of unstable structures it was completely renovated by the architect from Imola, Cosimo Morelli, and was consecrated in 1782.
The facade of the cathedral was remodelled in 1850. The inside, which is in a neo-classic Latin cross style, has a central nave and two side aisles, and is divided by Corinthian columns and clearly shows the symmetric and majestic style of Morelli. The main feature is the presbytery, which is elevated in comparison to the level of the Basilica, and has two staircases leading up to it, while a central staircase goes down to the crypt which guards the remains of the Saints Cassiano, Pier Crisologo, Proietto, and Maurelio.
Special attention should be made to the craftsmanship of the wooden benches, the 16th century baptismal font in the first chapel on the left and the beautiful wooden crucifix of the 15th century above the altar. There are numerous paintings of Angelo Gottarelli such as “L’esaltazione della croce”, which is in the second chapel on the right.
It is still possible to see the tombstone of Girolamo Riario, Lord of the town in the Renaissance.
Basilica Cathedral of St. Cassiano Martire
piazza Duomo 10
tel. 0542.22146 – 23572
7.30am to 11.30am and 16.00pm to 18.00pm