This church was built by the Serviti friars in the second half of the 14th century. It underwent important modifications during the following centuries.
Today’s facade is preceded by an open gallery, and it still has the sandstone portal of the 16th century carrying the coat-of-arms of the most prominent families of the past and of Pope Giulio II.
The inside, with its single central aisle and side chapels, offers over the central altar a painting of the Virgin Mary and Child which dates back to the Byzantine times, and acted miraculously in 1632 during the plague.
Near the church there is the 16th century Oratorio di S. Macario (oratory) which was partially rebuilt in the 18th century, while the front of the church opens onto Piazza Mirri. This square has just recently been renovated, and located on the corner towards the Via Emilia is a fountain created by the contemporary artist Mauro Andrea.
Chiesa di Santa Maria dei Servi
piazza Mirri 2
tel. +39 0542.22206 Parish Church
during Mass (weekdays 18.00 – holidays 9.00)